I found a list of common migraine symptoms – and when you read this remember that I have most of these 100% of the time – as in they never go away. Let that sink in for a moment.
Lets go over some of them together off that list. I will add some of my own that are missing and mark the ones that don’t pertain to me.
Visual Aura (before the pain begins)
- a bright shape that spreads across the visual field of one eye and appears to block some or all of the vision; can be seen whether the eye is open or closed – I have this almost 24 hrs a day
- flashes of light and color * 24hrs a day
- wavy lines * 24hrs a day
- geometric patterns *Not really
- blurred vision * 24hrs a day
- partial loss of sight *Not really
- *I will also have hallucinations of things that are not there (spiders/bugs/shadows) mostly caused by medications that I take to prevent and treat the migraines/daily headaches I have.
- numbness or tingling on the face or upper extremities * 24hrs a day
- a sense that limbs are a distorted shape or size *No
- heightened sensitivity to light, sound, and smells * 24hrs a day
- smelling odors that aren’t actually present (like natural gas or something burning) *happens a lot – mostly Gasoline, burnt bread, chocolate(that I am allergic to) dirt or dust, grass, something is wet or damp…
- skin sensitivity and intolerance of being touched (allodynia) *happens a lot
- *things will feel overly cold or hot to the touch…or if it is a little cool to the touch I can’t tell if is it damp or not, and not in like a normal way, like my nerves cannot relay what it is they feel correctly – and the reaction of something being too hot might be delayed.
- partial paralysis *Not really
- weakness or heaviness in the limbs on one side of the body * happens a lot
- *with chronic fatigue comes chronic pain – so I have pain that radiates all over my body. a migraine will make that worse. also if I have had a CFS flare, it makes the daily headache worse or a chance of a migraine higher.
- mental confusion *I forget stuff all the time
- disorientation *all the time
- inability to concentrate * 24hrs a day
- difficulty finding words * 24hrs a day
- problems understanding spoken or written language *happens a lot
- *my memory is very bad. To the point where my family has started to resent me for it.
- food cravings (particularly for carbohydrates, candy and chocolate) * 24hrs a day
- stomach rumblings * 24hrs a day
- constipation *I have IBS
- increased thirst *Not really
- frequent urination*Not really
- bloating/fluid retention *Not really
- fatigue, lethargy *I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- mood changes * yes
- irritability *sometimes
- high energy *sometimes
- depression *yes – I want to cry all the time
- anxiety *And panic attacks – thank you Botox for that. I have not done the treatment in years yet I still have the panic attacks – plus I worry all the time that my support system will have enough of all of this one day. Also adds to my depression
- nervousness *yes see above
- euphoria, feeling of intense well-being *yes, followed by depression and feeling like it is all going to go wrong.
- *I feel all alone – most of the time.
- nausea * 24hrs a day
- vomiting *sometimes
- intolerance of food odors *sometimes
- loss of appetite *Sometimes
- diarrhea *Not really
- constipation *most of the time(IBS)
- paleness *Not really
- cold, clammy hands and feet * 24hrs a day
- facial swelling*Not really
- goose bumps*Not really
- bloodshot eyes * 24hrs a day
- black circles around eyes * 24hrs a day
- sweating * 24hrs a day worse at night
- frequent yawning * 24hrs a day
- sighing * 24hrs a day
- hyperventilating *Sometimes
- nasal congestion *sometimes
- runny nose *Sometimes
- changes in blood chemistry *Not sure
- changes in blood pressure * 24hrs a day
- blood vessel dilation *not sure
- difficulty regulating temperature * 24hrs a day
- changes in heart rhythms * 24hrs a day
- *blue fingers/toes
So I have added a bit of what I go through or feel. I hope that this helps some of you feel not so alone, or gain a better understanding of someone you are close to who might have this horrible health condition. Remember that a migraine is not a singular thing – it is a condition. The head pain is only one phase of four – the third phase. I will get into the different phases on another post.